What is a Strata Wind-Up?
- In 2016 Bill 40 was passed, amending part 16 of the Strata Property Act allowing strata owners to dissolve their strata corporation with only an 80% vote while 100% was required before this.
Why do a Strata Wind-Up?
- The building you live in is going to need some serious renovations or restoration to keep it viable. This will require the owners to pay some extraordinary special assessments. It may be better to sell the building instead and buy newer.
- Or a developer has approached the strata with an offer
What are the Steps to Do a Successful Strata Wind-Up?
- Establish Interest in Winding Up
- Informal Strata Meeting to Determine Agreement
- List the Property and Get Serious about Selling
- Market the Property
- Review Offers and Write a Formal Agreement
- Off to Court
- Completion and Liquidating the Strata
How Long Does a Strata-Wind-Up take?
- A proper Strata Wind-up will take a minimum of 18 months from start to finish. If the Strata receives a developer offer, than the process can be quicker. With a developer offer, important steps still must be completed to do a successful Strata Wind-Up.
Is My Property Worth more if I am in a strata Wind-Up?
- Yes, usually you are worth more selling as a group as opposed to selling on your own.
What other benefits are there to doing a Successful Strata Wind-Up?
- Usually after the closing date, the developer offers ‘free rent’ for a few months or longer, moving expenses paid or the opportunity to takes your appliances and fixtures to your next home.
Important Key Take Away:
The process and steps to do a successful Strata Wind-Up are important and must be completed to perfection. The reason is that all of it will be scrutinized in court when the Strata has to “Wind-Up”. It is important to get a real estate agent who has experience and knows the process. If not, all your time and expenses can be lost if the Judge does not feel the Strata Wind-Up was handled or completed properly. Do Not Risk it, Call me today to discuss your Strata!